Corn and such

I found something new that makes me feel sick. Corn. Who would have thought? It sounded so good before I started eating it. And then I started eating it...and all the good started to fade. The only other things that gross me out are orange juice, eggs, and I think that's it. Coffee sometimes but not always. I've also noticed I'm a lot more sensitive to smells and unpleasant images. For example, I was at the grocery store yesterday and looking at a package of cookies completely grossed me out. I have no idea why and I can't even remember which cookies they were. Something about them just offended me. Oh the strange odysseys of pregnancy...
I find myself unable to get enough meat. I literally grocery shopped like a carnivore yesterday and when I got to the steak section, I could have eaten one raw. I know...gross. But there is something in me right now that craves blood and flesh. This baby wants MEAT!! And so it shall get some. I bought two pizzas, steaks, turkey sausage, a WHOLE chicken, and drumsticks. OH yes.
Morning sickness hit me with a fury this weekend. I think it was a combination of things but it was definitely the worst I've had by far. I heard that some people had motion-induced morning sickness. Up until now, I didn't notice much of anything. But Friday night, as John was driving us to his highschool reunion in Virginia, I seriously thought I was going to puke in his car. It was like being car sick...but for no apparent reason. I hadn't been staring at the floor or anything and I just gradually felt worse and worse. Finally, he asked if I had any crackers. It hadn't even dawned on me that it was linked to morning sickness because it felt so much like being car sick so I got some crackers and slowly they seemed to help. The rest of the weekend, any time we drove anywhere, I'd feel pretty sick. When I drive, I'm fine. But when anyone else does, I'm in bad shape. I'm hoping this is very, very short-lived. But I'm still thankful I've yet to ACTUALLY throw up.
In one week exactly, I get my first ultra-sound. It's still up in the air whether or not John can be there but I'm praying he can. If not, I'll get pictures and hopefully a recording. It's frustrating having your spouse miss things when they're deployed. It's even more frustrating when they're NOT and they still have to miss things.
I've felt off the past few days. Physically and emotionally. Thankfully, I've been able to rest. But I feel like my sleep has been shallow; lots of tossing and turning and strange dreams (which is not unusual...the dreams have just gotten stranger as I've gotten pregnant). I think part of it is John being away. I'm ready for him to be home and can't help having a cranky attitude about having to share him with the Marine Corps sometimes. But from Halloween (costume arrived!) through my birthday (first one with him home) and thanksgiving and Christmas until January 7th, he's all mine. Then on to more training. But at least he'll still be here. It's funny/strange/bittersweet to think this is his first winter in North Carolina and my third. And he'll be here for our anniversary (our first together as a married couple after 3 wonderful years together and apart) and Valentine's Day. Happy sigh. There is much to be glad for.
Photo: Unknown found via Anju's Kitchen Treasures

Comments

Popular Posts