The Girl

It truly amazes me how many times I forget that I had something to say in my OWN blog while reading others' blogs. Scthanks guysch!!
So after much hesitation, I finally bought a book that I've been hearing much about for...months. I see the cover everywhere. I even DESPERATELY wanted to see the movie when I saw it in theatres while we were visiting Virginia Tech a few months ago. But not knowing anything about the story AT ALL kept me away. When a movie is obviously maybe a little scary and/or violent, I like to know what I'm getting myself in to so I don't spend endless nights with the light on and shotgun in hand (watch yourself). Kidding kidding. I only did that once (KIDDING again)!
So there I sat. Bookless...and looking for a dern good read. But unsure whether the book that kept weaseling it's way into my face was something I'd enjoy...or regret buying. Finally, a blog I frequent mentioned it. Someone I completely did not see reading that genre. And somehow that pushed me over the edge. I bought the book. I sat down and started it...4 days later, I started the second and am heartbroken even THINKING that there is only one left.
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.
Where do I even begin? I don't think I can even adequately say how I feel about this series. But some caution should be dished forward if you are interested in reading these books: the subject matter involves rape, extreme violence and murder, and other not happy things. If you think you will be highly disturbed, don't read it and give it a bad review. These books are amazingly written. Like...amazingly amazing. I didn't roll my eyes ONCE. The depth and just overall complexity of this story has blown and continues to blow my mind with every passing page. I only HOPE to be able to write like Stieg someday. People have called it a "detective novel"...and I guess that's what it is. Just not in the way you'll expect.
Despite some gruesomeness, this series is one of the best I've ever read. I would not recommend it to everyone as I stated above. But if you like a good (no...GREAT) kick-ass novel or three, you're in the right place. Each chapter left me wanting to pump iron and kick sexist ass. Booya. So if you read them, get ready for an intense ride. I'm only sorry Stieg Larsson isn't around to finish the TEN books he planned to write in total.
R.I.P. Stieg. You were amazing.
P.S. The movie that is already released is Swedish. Since the books are originally Swedish anyway. Duh.
I just found out "ze Amerikans" are remaking the movie into an "American" version.
One word: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!
LEAVE THE GOODNESS TO THE EUROPEANS, IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY?? They make what looks like a FANTASTIC movie in Swedish that won several International awards and you have to go and remake it using a bunch of Hollywood bimbos like Daniel Craig who will SURELY BUTCHER the WHOLE SHEBANG????
WOW, America. Just wow.
And DO NOT EVEN get me started on who they're casting for Lisbeth Salander. I'll make it short and sweet: she was in A Nightmare on Elm Street. That will give you an idea of what acting ability we're talking about. And she has a barbie face. Um...SALANDER and BARBIE are about as similar as vodka and POOP.
And that's all I have to say.
Photo: Unknown found via A.V.Club

Comments

Kaley said…
I'm glad I read this....I have been walking by these books and have debated the purchase of them many many many times. I've been looking for some good reads-can't wait!

Popular Posts