The Fall of She-Tenor

Exactly a week from today, I will be winging my way with John to Mexico. Can't believe it's finally almost here. I can hardly wait for some serious beach time and my very first plane ride with my husband, even though we've been married 2 and a half years! Crazy.
My lips are back to normal. THANK GOODNESS. Thankfully, my doctor was right on the money about the mangoes (sad face) and the cream she prescribed me went straight to work. I wasn't completely cleared up by the time the ball came around but I was much improved enough to wear makeup. The ball was a blast but passed oh-too-quickly. I hacked my hair for the occasion and now have a faux-hawk/short cut. It was a little shorter than I was originally intending but it has grown on me and I am loving it. It'll be nice to have a cool head in Mexico too. I got it styled in a faux-hawk for the ball and everyone loved it. I had drunk hands all over my head all evening. It was great. Now, I'm mostly wearing it down but still love it. When I first got it done and was still adjusting to the idea of SHORT hair while sitting in the salon chair, I texted John to forewarn him. I wasn't sure how prepared he was for this short of hair since he's only seen pictures of me like this and has never liked it. He said if it was too short he would just grow back his mustache. Since that is NOT an option, I hoped and prayed he would like it and as it turned out...he does. :) Yes, I will get a photo up soon. But can't this second. (The only negative comment I've acquired so far has been my choir director seeing me, smiling excitedly at my new haircut and saying, "BUTCH!!" while semi-creepily stroking my head.........I'm afraid my choir director is a little behind on the current meaning of words. I stared at him and said, "Um NO I'm not." Yes, my hair is boy-short but I do not look BUTCH. I honestly think he thought he was giving me a compliment because he genuinely likes my hair. Maybe an Urban Dictionary is in order for him for Christmas/Birthday/Any Occasion possible?)
This week begins my only school session this summer. My choir is doing a sort of summer "camp" thing that lasts four days long (and no we aren't in tents and don't have to spend the night, THANK GOODNESS). We learn new music and then perform on the last day. Sadly, this marks the end of my career as a she-tenor. All last semester I was part of the small backbone of the tenor section since not enough guys were in choir. This semester we gained two new guys...which is great...but it means me and my fellow she-tenor (she calls herself the transgender dinosaur because she never knows what sex she'll be singing from one song to the next and it literally changes minutely) are suddenly altos. Which means no more fun tenor inside jokes and bonding/brooding and means relearning most of the songs in the tenor part. In 4 days. Which kind of sucks since I obviously already know them as a tenor. But our strongest alto is gone and they need some help so I guess that calls for the she-tenor and the transgender dinosaur...who are now just normal girls again. Sigh. It was fun while it lasted, tenor-buddy!! I already miss the parts. While I frantically try to learn the new parts. Oh joy. Thus is the fall of the mighty she-tenor. Well, speaking of choir I better get on the road. One more week, one more week, one more week.
Photo: Unknown found via Leisure Landing

Comments

Popular Posts