Holding Breath

Welcome to October. And a very happy birthday to my dear friend Nicole who is entering a new stage of life. May this month (and all year!) bring you new insight, wisdom, and inspiration in all the roads you travel. Cheers! And wish I was there!
Tonight is the Marine Corps Ball. And John is still here. :)
I get my hair done in 1 hour and 45 minutes. I then rush and get ready to full level of hotness.
This morning John and I made English High Tea for ourselves. It's a tradition we've gotten into...first when John proposed and we went to High Tea at the Empress Hotel in Victoria, British Columbia and several times since then. Like this time. It's one of the things in life that never fails in forcing me to relax. I don't know if it's truly possible to drink tea and eat warm scones with jam and be stressed. It just doesn't sync with the flow of the universe. George did his best to try to convince us that he was regal and well-behaved enough to join us but we declined.
Yesterday, after searching for a Greek restaurant and only finding it to realize it was closed, we discovered a lovely Italian restaurant nearby. I've passed it several times but every time I think to go it's either a day they're closed or it just wasn't convenient. Pia's is the smallest little place but it has flavor and class to boast about. John and I agreed it's one of our new favorites in town.
Today was our second Sunday at a new church which just so happens to be much closer to our house than the last church we were going to. I will say this: I am LOVING this new church. It was a complete spur of the moment idea last week to try it and we are in no way regretting it. I think this will be a good home for me when John is gone.
I made the most amazing discovery on Friday. Actually it was John that initially discovered it and he relayed this discovery to me: an Asian food store has been located. I cannot tell you how excited that makes me. !!!!!!! It's owned by the cutest and most friendly Korean lady who also teaches Asian cooking classes (Korean, Japanese, Chinese). I have found my new haven. I had an awesome conversation with her as well as her god-daughter who is also Korean about life here and my upbringing in China. It was great making a few new friends that GET this part of my life. I'm SOOOOOOOOO stoked! Ironically, this week has brought up quite a few conversations about my time in China. In class (finally), at church, out and about...it's almost like finally exhaling, being able to talk about it. I feel like I've been holding my breath for...months. And I don't even know why. It's like I don't want to talk about it because it draws too much attention...and I don't want it to be an attention seeking subject. I want people to hear about it because they've gotten to be my friend first. It's information I hold close to my heart. I don't open up about it to just anyone. Maybe I should...I don't know...but I won't dump my story on uninterested ears if I can help it.
Okay. It's getting close to time. I'm off to get myself gussied up. Stay tuned for pictures. :)
Photo: Unknown found via Mark and Susan's Grand Ball

Comments

Popular Posts