Two of Hearts

Yesterday was Valentine's Day. My third with my now-husband John. Our second as a married couple. It's funny how something like a deployment reunion can blow Valentine's Day clear out of the water. You don't really understand it until you experience it. Mere days before John's return, I was thinking to myself how excited I was about Valentine's Day. And then once he arrived, I didn't give Valentine's Day a second thought. I was just happy that he was here. Funny how a few days change your priorities.
Most of my life, I've been excited about Valentine's Day...even when I was single, I always made it a day of smiling and being happy thinking about what the future held. Sunday morning found me extremely unprepared. I had bought a stack (yes, stack) of Valentine's Day cards for John...all of which I misplaced while cleaning (darn you, cleanliness!) in preparation for his return. Oh the irony. I have yet to locate them and was embarrassed to see the red card he was holding as he woke me with a kiss and said "Happy Valentine's Day." Bad, bad wifey. Despite how bad I felt, I tried to make the most of the day and we had a wonderful Valentine's Day together. We made one of our favorite meals...if not our MOST favorite meal and just enjoyed each others' company. He got me flowers the day before and they were proudly displayed in a vase on the counter. We decided to keep this year's Valentine's Day pretty low key because of our big vacation of doom coming up in just one short week (which I am in mental denial of...I keep thinking it's months away and it's about to swallow me whole as we speak...eeek!!) and as it turned out, I wasn't in the mental zone for it either way. But as unplanned as it was, I had a wonderful day with my sweetheart. How could I ask for more? He's home.

Comments

Popular Posts