All as it should be...

He's home.
I think that's probably the only thing I can think about right now. It's funny. The things that would often aggravate any normal person bring this warm comfort to me. Little reminders that he's really here and it's not just me daydreaming. His dog tags by the sink, the toilet seat being up, post deployment clutter in the living room, computer set-up on the coffee table, him forgetting his phone at home. It all just makes me smile. Because it means he's home. I find myself sometimes entering rooms and feeling like it never happened, like he's still away. The house is quiet and it's back to just being me and the kitties again. Until I spy something of his that wasn't there before. Then I'm brought back to reality. A reality I wholeheartedly welcome.
Rumors were swirling at full speed the week before the arrival of John's squadron. One jet had broken upon arriving in Greece which meant two had to stay behind (because they have to stay in pairs in order to get a tanker for the translant trip). We were hearing everything from "the jet will be fixed in time" to "all the jets will stay behind until the broken jet is fixed." I tried my best not to listen to anyone but my husband and our Family Readiness Officer. And they said that two jets would be staying behind (sadly, including Monique and Steph's husbands) and four would be coming back. They were scheduled to arrive 11am on Friday morning. Thursday night I cleaned the house and then watched Project Runway with Monique at her house. It felt like any other day. It didn't feel like the day before my husband was returning from an almost 7 month deployment. But there was still this slightly sick-nervous feeling present in my stomach that I couldn't shake. The butterflies began in the afternoon as I listened to a voice message from John that said "See you tomorrow." These continued in waves the rest of the day. I laid down in my clean sheets the night before he came home and forced myself to read my book, just like everything was normal. I would not act any different than I would usually act...I didn't want to get my hopes up and have him not return.
Friday, I got up early and started getting ready. Right after getting out of the shower, my phone rang and I got an update from the FRO (Family Readiness Officer). They were AHEAD of schedule. Due to arrive 10:30am. Which meant I needed to hustle. I had spent quite a while the night before debating over shoes for my dress and finally settled on my suicidally high blue leopard print heels. Sexy should always win out when you're seeing your husband for the first time in a long absence. Even if it means pain. I got myself pretty and then forced myself to wait in the kitchen until it was time to go. I knew leaving TOO early would not help my nerves at all.
It was finally time and I got in my wee little car, changed into some drive-worthy shoes, and took off. I was supposed to meet some friends at a gas station on base to drive over to the hanger together since most of us didn't know where it was. But on my way in, I realized I was already behind my friend Jen so I just followed her through and we got let into the squadron gates and found parking. I tip-toed my way to the hanger and took a seat. And there I waited in a dazed stupor. Everyone was rushing around me greeting each other and mingling. I could do nothing but just sit there and stare. Finally, I forced myself to socialize. The hanger had been decorated with welcome banners and had chairs laid out for people to relax in. The huge two story doorway let in a bitter chilly wind that made it hard to relax in any way. A table in the back provided hot drinks and snacks and there was a blow-up jump house for the kids (that collapsed randomly at one point, causing a near catastrophe). Shortly, the band arrived and started playing loudly to my left while a few of my friends were interviewed by the press. There was a lot of press at this return. I'd never seen any at the other two I was at. I'm not sure why that was. Maybe because this was a daytime return and ours is the last Marine Squadron out of Iraq. Who knows. The press wanted little to do with us childless or unpregnant wives. They were ALL about the bigger families and the expecting. I didn't complain a bit. But I did find it a bit funny. Just a bit. Time passed and they announced they would be arriving around 11:10am. The rest of my friends arrived and we talked amongst ourselves while the band played extremely suggestive stripper music, apparently a norm for deployment homecomings. Haha.
Finally, everyone made their way to the doorway of the hanger. We all shivered outside and finally I retreated back inside because it was just too cold and it was obvious it would be a few more minutes. This is me in my 'flamingo' pose, trying to warm my feet on the back of my calf.The guys were originally scheduled to do a fly-over upon arrival but the weather wasn't great and they didn't want to risk it. FINALLY, after mistaking another jet in the air for them about 50 times because it seemed to be circling the building (tease), we spotted them taxiing in. They parked in a lot ahead of us and a giant Marine bus was conveniently parked to block most of our view. I wanted SO badly to just run out there (carefully in my heels) but no one was moving so I did my best to wait patiently. Finally, after thinking we saw them about 80 times, there they were. The whole group was walking towards us. At this point, I said "screw it" and started walking toward them and everyone followed. It was not hard to pick John out in the crowd as he was near the front and wearing an ear-to-ear grin. Nobody could miss that smile.
I bee-lined my way to him and threw my self on him amid the confusion of happy, blissful reunions around us. I was surprised that I didn't cry but I was too happy to cry. Even happy-cry. It was just so unbelievable to have him there, right there in front of me, in my arms again. Suddenly the rain wasn't freezing and the wind wasn't chilly because we were finally together again (and John is one of the warmest people on this planet. His average body temperature has got to be around 103 degrees). We made our way back to the hanger and he got out of his gear and we lingered a little. One of the most amazing things to witness was our friends Karl and Katrina's reunion. This was the first time Karl had seen his wife Katrina pregnant. She wasn't showing when he left.....and the thought that he was seeing her for the first time was just unforgettable to me. Being present for so many moments in each others' lives has never felt more precious than when you have to miss a few.
Once inside the hanger, we sat down, John had a beer and then we said "Let's blow this pop-sickle stand!" and we drove home. The kitties were a little wary of him at first. Bean hid under the bed and peeked at him. But finally they realized who it was and were very affectionate with him. They've been on our heels, following us around the house since.
Now it just feels normal having him home. It feels RIGHT. But I still can't wipe this smile from my face any time I see him. Everything makes me happy at this point. This is quite possibly the best weekend I've had...ever? Quite possibly ever. Right up there with our wedding day.
It's hard not to appreciate every moment he's here. I can't help but feel like I did right before he left...it's a very similar feeling. An ever present appreciation for every second we're together. But he isn't leaving...not for awhile. So I must savor as much as I can while I can.
It's easy at this point to say the almost 7 month wait was worth it. Because it's over. But truly it was. If you asked me during it, in my darkest hour, I would still say it was worth it. Because John is worth it. And that's all there is to it. ♥

Comments

Meredith Johnson said…
This made me so happy!! I love that you documented his homecoming. I'm so happy for you both!!

Popular Posts