Homecoming

For most of America, the term 'Homecoming' is used in relation to a formal dance at a school. However, in the military world, it is known in an entirely different light. It is the awesome, awesome day your husband/wife returns from being deployed overseas and I had the honor of capturing one by camera this weekend and will be capturing another this evening. Everything was supposed to go down on Saturday and I had myself all pumped to take pictures. But then Saturday morning I got word that one of the planes would not be making it that day. Meaning two of my friend's husbands would be delayed until Monday. As little as it sounds, a two day delay is a huge, huge emotional let down when you've been looking forward to seeing them on a certain day for um 7 months. So my heart ached just thinking about those two girls. It didn't sound like everyone was going at first but at the last minute I decided to make an appearance and take pictures anyway and the two who had to wait until Monday let me ride with them to base. I have to say taking pictures of a deployment homecoming is one of the most amazing experiences. It's such a rush and I wasn't even the person meeting their spouse for the first time in over half a year. I was a little nervous as light was fading and it was extremely windy with freezing rain. I don't have much experience with using a flash (prefer natural light) so I was nervous in general to be taking photos. But I did it anyway and I feel like I learned a lot just playing around with my settings. Before the C130 even pulled up, my hands were ready to fall off. But I trudged through it and fought the weather for some pictures which I do not regret in the least. (Needless to say, I have gloves packed and ready to go for today. Freezing rain, bare hands and a hard cold piece of plastic are not a good combo.)
I can't really put into words how great the whole experience was. One of the biggest highlights was just hearing the excitement in little kid's voices as they squealed "Daddy's coming!" as the C130 taxied around the corner toward us. It's one of those moments where you sit back and think "I'm never going to forget this. This is almost...historic. That's what it is. Historic. " And it was. It happened much faster than it should have but I got some good shots (even though I always wish I could have gotten more) and am excited beyond excited to be able to do so again tonight. It's been an incredible experience being able to be on THIS side of the picture, taking pictures of lovers reuniting, knowing that in 4 wee days I will be on the OTHER side of the picture, reuniting with MY love, hopefully having my picture taken. Hehe. I think it has finally hit me. As soon as I saw my friend Robyn skip ahead at the sight of her husband, my heart leaped in my chest and I realized just how close I was to seeing John again. Any day now, love. Any day. He is officially out of Iraq and in Greece. Next is Portugal. Then on to ME. I am trying to keep realistic and not have it set in my head that he WILL be here Friday because more than likely there will be delays. But the important thing is...we're down to waiting DAYS. Not halves of years. Not months, not weeks. Days.
I was up late last night keeping sick, sick Monique company. She seemed to have food poisoning and didn't want to be alone. So I'm running off of 3.5 hours of sleep which will be interesting later on. But on a whole I do actually feel quite awake. Which is nice/good. Now as long as I can keep this awake-ness going for the rest of the day (and force Monique to rest up for the next few days so she's in tip-top shape when her husband comes back with John on Friday), I'll be golden shmolden. Minus the 'mold' part.

Comments

Popular Posts