Beclothed.

I love clothes. I freely admit to being one of "those" girls who can't have enough clothes. I don't take it to a crazy extreme that many people do. I recently realized that the healthiest approach should be to say I COLLECT clothes and treat them as such...only keeping or getting things I've spent thought on and not quick-buying anything. I also realized recently that I struggle with style which is the root of my problem. Some things are just soooo me and I don't even have to try. They were made for ME. But many times I get pieces and just have no idea what to do with them. It's kind of like music genres. I hear the words but have no idea what they are. Indie? Chic? Indie chic? No clue. Totally lost. I see fashion bloggers and just honestly am in awe. I have no idea how they do what they do. Which sounds ridiculous. Same with interior design. No idea. I go on pinterest. People assume that as an artist, all these pinterest projects would be cake for me. Well...I am a sucky baker. And me and pinterest don't mix. At all. Nailed it! Not.
Back to clothes...
I think a lot of men and even some women don't understand the range of clothes a women must possess to just survive. All frills and froufrou aside...I'm talking about just being clothed. Within pregnancy and to my thinnest, I have spanned over 50lbs. That's a lot of size differences. Within those are the required maternity-appropriate wear and for multiple seasons. I quickly realized my winter maternity wear would not be sufficient through this last pregnancy as I tried to wear jeans in the south in the summer one day. Holy hotness, batman. Not happening.
Growing up, I took it for granted that I lived in "The City of Eternal Spring." People talk about having four seasons and I still don't really know what they're talking about. I thought I did but you could almost wear one season of clothes all year round in my city. Almost. Winters could get chilly. But overall, it was mild mild mild and I didn't need a range of clothes for different seasons.
So all of this...comes back to clothes and why a lot of girls are never satisfied with their wardobe. And I decided that part of my own problem is a lack of staple pieces that are classic, unwavering in style, and just not going anywhere anytime soon. So my goal has been to figure out what staple pieces ARE to me...and collect them. Which has been a fun project in and of itself.
I also have been obsessed with Poshmark, a site for selling things you no longer want or use from your closet. It has made me clean out my wardrobe quite a bit and rethink things. I had a triumphant moment yesterday when I decided to give a skirt one last chance. I could not figure out how to wear it, what to pair it with. Just when I wanted to get rid of it (even though I really like it)...voila! I paired it with a different top and it finally felt like ME. WIN!
Here I am looking all smug. In the bathroom. I am awesome. Ok bye.

Comments

Melissa said…
I feel the same way!!! I keep trying to figure out what my style is! Such a pain...

Popular Posts