Sabine

The problem with having an expectation for every blog post is when you find yourself unable to meet said expectation (and you will), you don't post at all. That's what I've done since August of last year. And I've quickly learned that silence is not better than consistency (in a format sense). So much has happened and I have no posts to share or document it all by. So it's hard to know where to begin. The priority topic, though, that is very, VERY obvious because it has made the biggest change in my life is this:
Sabine.
On January 4th, 2015 at 3:55pm, Sabine Petra Corrie was born into her father's arms. She was 8lbs 6oz. I arrived at the hospital at 9cm dilated. We labored at home for 5 hours and at the hospital for 4. My water remained unbroken until my dilation wasn't progressing and we decided to have it manually broken. 5-10 minutes later, Sabine was here. It was CRAZY FAST, thankfully so. The most intense thing I've ever been through. I know now that it even shocked my nurse, who checked my progress to humor me when I said I was afraid to sit because I didn't want to sit on my baby's head. She ended up running down the hall top speed to get the doctor and everyone else to come back because I was crowning. I was completely unaware of anyone coming back in or even of her yelling for the doctor (probably because I was too busy yelling myself). I just remember after that first contraction post-water-breakage, I became aware of some frantic rustling and focused enough to see nurses rushing John into the plastic gown needed to deliver our daughter. I remember sort of scoffing to myself and being annoyed they'd do that so early because I had no idea at that point that I was crowning. I just knew I was in insane pain and couldn't not scream during contractions. I also was surprised theyd let him deliver at all because merconium was found in my water and a respiratory team had to be on standby. Then after asking how close I was (half kidding and afraid to hear them say not close at all), my doula Glynis informed me she could see baby girl's head and asked if I wanted to touch it. I said no (which we all laughed about later because as natural-labor-friendly as I am, I have never had a desire to feel my baby's head while still inside me...gives me the shivers...) and then contraction #2 started.
John was all ready to catch her at this point and he said later that he had to stop her from flying out, it felt like a spring was behind her. Her got to pretty much fully deliver her with guidance from our doctor. It was more than either of us expected or hoped for and the birth photos prove it. Wow. And wow...birth photos. Such an amazing treasure. John questioned them UNTIL he saw the first photo from them. Then he was completely sold.
Once she was born, time slowed down. We were allowed to just hold her and marvel at her for several hours before they even checked her measurements and weight (the respiratory team wasn't needed in the end). Everything was done in-room and John got to give her her first bath.
My parents arrived and brought Penelope to meet her baby sister and, my goodness...we no longer existed. She had eyes for no one but Sabine and bee-lined straight for her. She couldn't even respond to our greetings. SO delighted to finally meet her. She was all squeals and observations and glee. She could not contain the emotions we all felt.
I feel so scattered writing this because there's so much to tell, so much to remember. But I know I recorded everything as it happened. It just feels right to fill this blog in.
Sabine is 5 months old and a beautiful, beautiful soul. She is a bubbling bundle of overflowing joy, full of smiles and giggles. The first few months left us wondering if we had a second Penelope because their resemblance is just NUTS. But gradually, I began to see differences, even if I couldn't put my finger on what exactly they were. Her personality is all her own and Penelope LOVES having a baby sister. The feelings are mutual which is evident any time they interact and Penelope's adoration is met with affectionate coos and giggles.
We have a BIG baby girl (me having been the larger of two babies at 6lbs 4oz, my Dad considers Sabine to be a GIANT) who is flying through clothes like there's no tomorrow (she's very long). P loves to observe that everything was hers when she was a baby...but now it's Sabine's turn! And she seems thrilled to share with her...for now.
I love having sisters. I love their interaction and I love interacting with them. But most of all, I love the balm that Sabine IS. She is just a soothing ointment to the heart. Have a bad day? Hold Sabine. She is joy in bodily form and she makes me want to have a hundred babies. I thank God for my girls and for a Daddy who LOVES having girls and feels nothing lacking except more time with them.

Comments

Popular Posts