Purge-atory

It has been a week or so for the books. And should I be surprised? Not really. After all, big changes loom ahead and when that happens emotions run high. But that doesn't make them easier to process or behaviours easier to navigate. P has been especially trying as of late in the cleaning up department and it has been very disheartening.
Despite being sick, I completely rearranged our dining room and it is now an awesome playroom/place for books/my easel while our table is now in the kitchen nook area where there is NO carpet (huzzah!!). Whoever thought up carpeted dining rooms had never encountered children. Or people for that matter.
Despite my home overhaul and excitement over having P's toys and things more contained in one place OTHER than the living room, it didn't seem to help in the mess department. She still ended with a giant mess she was unwilling (and I honestly think unable) to clean up. Looking back, I know half of it was her being overwhelmed by so MUCH of a mess. But it took a toll on me and day I-lost-count of me asking her to clean up I don't know how many times, I lost it. I held it together, left her in her room throwing a fit and then had a fit of my own and just struggled the rest of the evening. I truly let it eat at me and win that I couldn't find a solution, I couldn't find a way to motivate her to listen, and I just felt so defeated. It's amazing how something seemingly so little can become so big.
After frustrated prayers and lots of tearful venting, my mom sent me this blog post. And then suddenly things started to click. Pieces fit in place that I've been working out and wrestling for months now. I feel like I've been going this direction for awhile but wasn't sure how to get to my destination.
P isn't a bad kid and I know/knew that. She just has TOO MUCH STUFF. I am going gradual but I did a major stuff-purge first thing and already feel better. I also have started limiting what she can play with at a time so the mess doesn't get out of control.
I've quickly realized she hates my nagging as much as I hate it. I also realize to my relief that she is not disobeying out of spite. I see her trying her best and just failing due to the enormity of the messes she gets herself in. I hate the disappointment it gives both of us and I'm so excited to try something different that I truly believe will work. For both of us.
John and I have both felt the need for drastic change in this department as well. We both tend to be cluttery and quite frankly, after awhile, it kind of sucks out your soul. Living in mess just drives me nuts. But it's constant. Days when things do get picked up, I feel like I'm on cloud 9. It's amazing how much it improves my outlook on life in general. I truly believe God took my super low moment to lead my mom to that blog. It's already making a difference for P and for me and John too. I began the long road of purging my own closet when I started selling on Poshmark. But I knew I had to take it a step further.
These shoes were what carried me down the aisle to get married, my wedding shoes. They have been too small since day 1 but when they're just for your wedding day, it doesn't really matter. You'll make it work! But guess what? It's been almost 6.5 YEARS since that day and guess what? They STILL DO NOT FIT. So I said goodbye today. To them and other shoes and boots I'd been hanging on to for who knows what reasons.
John has already cleared out two foot lockers in the garage so I am a HAPPY camper. We still have a long way to go but progress is progress.
Until next time...just say no to clutter and breathe easier.

Comments

Popular Posts