For the Love of Plaid

I'm a writer. If you couldn't already tell. But I'm talking in the letter sense. I have always been a letter writer (much to my dismay in third grade when none of my second grade classmates wrote me back after I moved away...tear) and with the dawn of email, I quickly jumped in. Those typing classes in elementary school taught me nothing. I didn't pick up the skill until I found a reason why I wanted to type. And that was writing...first stories and secrets on the computer...then soon emails.
Ever since I started this blog and before, I've written my mom. Even when we literally worked just a few miles up the road from each other, we would write each other, communicating throughout the day, mostly to vent about work or just say what was on our minds like, "My elbow itches" or play "Name that quote." Thankfully, when I got married and was whisked away to the south, our communication continued effortlessly. We just had to get into calling, which we did.
Since meeting John, we've also emailed. In the beginning it was how we got to know each other before we first met in person. Then it just turned into a way to keep talking when we were apart. It's come in handy for deployments and beyond. Even when he's here on the home front, we email (not "here" as in in the house..."here" as in within the same country). He sends me articles. Lots of articles. He sent me one today about a New York writer who gives up the Big City to marry a cowboy. She even writes a blog. Read it here. It was such a CUTE story that I started thinking...about cowboys. lol.
Yes. Cowboys. I honestly never saw the appeal when I lived in Washington. I hated country music (something that has since changed and I often smile and think, "if my highschool classmates could see me now, they'd probably faint...") and swore I would NEVER like it. I was so open-minded and considerate of others in those days. Ehem...anyway. I never saw the appeal. The hats, the giant belt buckles (some of that could be attributed to a dear coworker getting completely screwed over by her first boyfriend who happened to be semi-cowboyish and who wore a belt buckle bigger than his own head...no exaggeration...no seriously...NO exaggeration!! It really was.), the tighter jeans worn where they were designed to be worn...yeah...didn't get it. UNTIL we were invited by some friends to go to a rodeo. I think I MAY have even blogged about it. Anyway, we went, we saw, and I gotta say I was impressed and suddenly saw the appeal. I was never sure what changed my mind until just a few minutes ago. The answer? Plaid.
Plaid is a powerful thing. I couldn't even explain it to you. Maybe it's one of those weird psychological things having to do with the father-daughter relationship and early childhood memories. My dad has always been a plaid wearer. I've rarely seen him in anything else although the past few years he's given in to wearing t-shirts more. But plaid. LOTS of plaid. It's his thing and always has been. I've never thought of it as cowboy or southern because, duh, my dad is neither of those things. But it all makes sense now. Looking back, any time I've been around a guy wearing plaid, there's an instant attraction. I know. Weird. Subconsciously, I bought John a plaid shirt awhile ago. He was very hesitant to wear it. In fact, at first he downright would NOT wear it. I was hurt and frustrated and finally he gave in and tried it on...and...liked it! As did I. Again. Instant attraction. I already have the instant attraction factor for John for obvious reasons. But put John in plaid and you might as well dip him in chocolate. You get the picture.
So plaid! There's just something about it. I'm not so sure it's a cowboy thing at all (but them riding dangerously wild animals helps) but the plaid helps. I'm still not a huge fan of the hats or chaps but the plaid stays and lately I've been finding myself eyeballing the boots. It's weird. Yes, I'm feeling fine. No, I'm not feverish although I know a LOT of people that would not believe me.
So...I guess the point of this entire post is this: I like plaid. Especially worn by men (ehem, John, ehem). It's one of those weird, weird things that unexplainable...like how some women judge men by their shoes (guilty) before they know them (hey, shoes say a LOT about a person!). Either way...I'm glad John has given in to the dark side...I mean into wearing plaid. I like it. :)
Photo: David Kozlowski found via Flickr

Comments

Popular Posts