The NEW Girl

Wow. I have become incredibly boring as of late.
Time for a drastic change.
Babam! It is time. It's certainly been long enough since I saw it. And what better way to break up the monotony than kickassery?
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Ahhh...we all remember what I said when I first found out they were going to remake the Swedish-based movie...even though it was barely a few years old. I'm all for remakes...good ones. But when the original is barely in kindergarten at best, I think we're being a little overzealous. I forget my exact wording (you can read it herrrree) but I think it was something to the effect of, "STUPAD AMERICANZ!!!!!" in reference to their attempt to remake an already perfectly wonderful original.
Now...while I still stand behind my original concern for ruining a perfectly good trilogy and my overall worry that Ze Americanz would completely take this and go even more over the top and make it grusomer than it already was...I will summarize the entire experience of seeing the American version with a small sentence: It was GREAT.
Yes. The American version. It was great. I went in there a little more excited than I expected because the more hype I heard about it from Swedish version fans and newcomers alike, and the more trailers I saw, the more I wanted to see it for myself and see just how close they got to Stieg Larsson's Lisbeth Salander.
Now...after this point there might be some spoilers. So you've been warned.
I loved the intro. Even the intro was good! I liked that they incorporated elements from all of the books (dragon, fire, hornets) into it. And the first thing that struck me about the entire cast was this: although many were American, they did NOT speak in American accents. I was ecstatic with joy over this. I cannot tell you how many times I imagined some punkrocker American girl saying, "Hi, my name is Lisbeth Salander" with the most painful American twang. Thankfully, this was never so. I honestly should have just known it was going to be good because Christopher Plummer is in it (doesn't that just give the whole thing a little bit more credibility? It does in my book.) but that slipped my mind for a spell.
I'm not going to replay the whole thing scene by scene. But I will make a few comparisons.
My biggest concern was that the rape scene would be much more gruesome than the Swedish version. The Swedish version was plenty gruesome. THANKFULLY...the Americans did a good job. It was ugly and gruesome but not roughly the same level if not a step lower than the Swedish version. I truly appreciated this. I came here to watch a movie...not have a panic attack and throw up.
The one thing I'd say the Swedish version did right and the American version got wrong was the point of climax when who-done-it is figured out and everyone heads to so-and-so's house to confront him of being a psychopath...well...I found it a lot more confusing in the American version. I felt like the Swedish version was a lot more clear. However, in their defense, there is SO much in the book that couldn't make it into the movie...and in the process...it gets hard to prepare the audience for everything and make everything clear without explaining it word for word.
I thought the overall progression of things was better in the American film.
I refuse to compare the two leading ladies of each film. I just won't go there. They are both fabulous in their own right and both did amazing performances. But there's no comparing them. They're two very different Lisbeths. And that is that. However, I am happy to say I was pleased with Rooney Mara's performance...which I was not at all expecting to be. So bravo, Rooney.
I enjoyed the humor in the American version. I don't remember laughing that much in the Swedish one and there truly was a lot to laugh about. So that was nice.
And finally...my life-long loathing of Enya is reinforced in this movie when the ultimate villain, before making his next kill, pauses to play some music...and that music is none other than Enya. HA!! I think I about died laughing at that point even though it wasn't exactly a funny point of the movie. Enya and I go way back. And nowhere in that history has there even been any form of fondness between us. Now, I see I am not the only one that finds her unlistenable and evil. Sorry, in-laws. That one is ALL yours. Take her far, far away and out of earshot. Please. And thank you.
In summary, if you haven't seen it, you should. However, I HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend reading the series first. I know everyone says that about books vs. movies. However...in this case, I can wholeheartedly say I would NOT like this series if I hadn't read the books first. The books...prepare you for some of the not-so-nice moments in the story. So...you've been warned. Will you HATE it if you avoid reading the books? Not at all. I don't think so in the least. But just be prepared for some ruggedness.
Photo: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo found via Escape Pod

Comments

Kaley said…
I'm soooo glad I scrolled down to read some of the posts I had missed!!! I avoided watching the American version because I thought it would surely be horrible. Can't wait to see it now. Thanks friend! :)

Popular Posts