The Curiosity Cabinet

I have a new assignment for Design 3D. And it intrigues me. This blog post describes it quite beautifully and gives some lovely examples too. The assignment is to make (yes...MAKE) a curiosity cabinet and fill it with a collection of...curiosities! I have a few ideas but none of them have stuck yet so I'm still searching for inspiration. A curiosity cabinet was something that grew in popularity during the 16th century. It was a cross between a mobile museum and almost a carnival. People had these closets of curious things...some real, some not so real, some simply strange and things the common folk had never seen before. The one pictured above is a more modern, steampunk version by Jack and Cat Curio. I LOVE it. So, I'm trying to figure out what exactly I want to do. If you know me, you know I love little things. I can't help but collect tiny toys and trinkets. But I'm not sure how they might fit into a curiosity cabinet. It has to have a sort of flow, theme, and story to it. And the shape and form of the cabinet itself should have some sort of relating factor between it and the collection as well. So, I will continue to brainstorm...but I'm excited about this assignment.

Comments

robyn said…
Immediately I thought, well, she'll have to include a baby robot. Then I thought "what, she should fill it with lots of robots". Finally, I thought, you should just make your cabinet look like what is inside the chest of a robot, what a robot would keep near and dear inside of himself. Think wall•e and this rotating shelves of ephemera. Go ahead, you can take it, it's yours!
btw, your scramble detection to leave a comment, literally says "to prove you're not a robot". But, I might be a robot because I've already typed in two and it's still not letting me leave the comment. Make that four times now. Five, this is getting annoying.

Popular Posts