Sharing

Sharing is the hardest first lesson for babies to learn. It's the word siblings cringe at. It's the awkward situation parents dread their children failing in.
Last week, P had her first sharing experience. And my heart kind of broke a little when I watched the facial reaction of my daughter as several children began playing with her toys without involving her. She can't talk but she communicated herself very clearly, reaching out her hands toward the toys she seemed to say, "Um...those are MINE." But thankfully, as soon as she was permitted to join in the play time, she was content. And I was happy to not have an angry child to console.
She is growing so quickly. 9 months have already passed and in what felt like minutes, she has transitioned from learning to smile to learning to crawl, from growing inches to growing teeth (we're still working on the crawling but she's SO close). The time passes quickly which is bittersweet; good on the days that are difficult...bad all the other times, in the moments when you just want time to stand still so she'd stop growing and never stop nuzzling into your shoulder. I even look at the mess of toys that now litters my livingroom floor and think...I'm actually going to miss that someday when she's into boys and driving. When she's 30.
This week P had her first flu bug. It's been challenging but not as horribly horrible as I expected. Her spirits have been ever bright (aren't they always?) which almost fools me into believing she's healthy again. Today, she woke without a fever so we are thankful for that and hoping this is the turning point to mending completely. I've had a few periods of not feeling my best and wondered if I was on the verge of having it myself but they passed quickly.
North Carolina has been bipolar. It was in the 60's on Christmas and has fluctuated between freezing and humid ever since. On the brightest days, it is the coolest and I'm not ready for it to get fully warm yet so the cool can stay for a little while longer if it wishes. It makes for beautiful blue-sky days.
Photo: Unknown found via Psychology Today

Comments

Popular Posts