Mother Love

While marveling in the bathtub at how I hadn't seen my hip bone so defined and jutting in many a year, I realized...I can't survive without my mom.
I had the flu. And then I got a cold. But the flu is the important part. It's the first time I've had the flu in...well...years. At least, not that kind of flu. I've obviously been very sick before and recently. But this was debilitating. Sunday I began feeling off. P had gotten it earlier that week and was quite recovered. Sunday afternoon my dad came by to help with P so I could get some rest. I let him leave in the evening and immediately regretted it. As I lay next to my whimpering child in a state of glazed-eyes and nausea, I realized I honestly didn't know how I was going to survive the next 48 hours if it held what I thought it might have in store for me (which it did). It wasn't until I crawled into Penelope's room, returned with her changing things and changed her diaper on the floor because I was too sick and weak to lift her to the changing table that I did the sole thing I knew to do: I called my mom. I wasn't expecting anything but some reassuring words that might give me the strength I needed. I got much more. She came over. My mom, who had also been sick but was over the worst and recovering quickly, came and stayed with me two nights while I battled the flu. She was P's sole provider other than the required nursing. She was my sole provider.
I'm still humbled just thinking about it...and embarrassed she had to come at all. But mostly humbled. Because I know I needed her there. I honestly don't know what I would have done without her. Not a clue. By Tuesday afternoon, I was ready to be on my own and try surviving again. It was still a struggle and I felt like I had the shakes...like I was getting off caffeine or something...but it was just weakness. I feel like I still haven't fully recovered. I had my first cup of coffee since then today and it still wasn't chalked up to what it should have been.
What I guess I'm trying to say is...I love my mom and she reminds me of the woman I hope to be some day. I hope P and I are close enough that she will call me when she has the flu and a baby to care for with no where else to turn. And I will gladly, proudly rise to the occasion.
Photo: Unknown found via We Heart It

Comments

Popular Posts