Angels Unaware

I can't even process my thoughts right now because it's wayyyy too late and I should have been asleep a long time ago with how wonky my sleep schedule has been as well as my sore throat. But I'm alive. And I had an AMAZING trip to Phoenix. And I have sooo many things going through my mind right now that I can't even organize. So I'll start with the ending.
I arrived in Raleigh around midnight. I had decided that if I felt up to it, I would drive the two hours it would take to get home instead of getting a hotel room. After sleeping most of my first (and longest) flight, I decided it was set: I would drive. I got my bag and made it to my car. When I opened my hatch, I knew something was wrong. The light inside my car wasn't coming on. I quickly jumped in the front seat and tried to start the engine: dead. Just then a couple was passing by in search of their own car. I excused myself and asked if they'd be willing to give me a jump once they found their car. They said they'd be happy to and disappeared. I wondered then if they'd even come back and waited. Thankfully, a few minutes later, they swung around the corner and asked if I had cables. I dug in the back and found them. And they were too short. We tried to maneuver their car in as many odd angles as possible (mine couldn't be moved because it is physically impossible to put it in neutral when the battery is dead...figure that one out) but to no avail. Finally, we snagged a guy who was about to drive away in a truck. He had a set of cables as well so we linked the two together and began charging my car. But it still wouldn't start. We gave it at least 15 minutes but the little thing wouldn't roll over once. In the meantime, they asked about who I was and I shared a little about my life: my husband is a Marine and is about to come home in two weeks (GLEE!!), I'm an art student, etc. When we all agreed that my car was probably not going to start, I thanked them as well as the guy with the extra cables and was ready to walk out to find a cab to go to a hotel when they offered to drive me. I thanked them again and accepted. In the car, they asked where I was from and I told them about China and my parents being missionaries. It was really enjoyable talking to them...they were really laid back and they commended me on being calm about this whole thing. I told them that going through two deployments really taught me a lot in the "staying calm" department...the stress just isn't worth it. I do definitely slip into panic mode a lot but SO much less than I used to.
We arrives at a Holiday Inn (after checking at another hotel that was full) and the wife, Terri, walked me inside to make sure I got all checked in. The receptionist had to boot up the computer and apologized for the delay while Terri and I chatted. Just as everything was set, Terri laid down her credit card on the counter and said she wanted to get it. I froze. I told her no and said she didn't have to do that at all. She smiled and said "Yeah, I really think I want to." This couple that I had JUST met paid for my hotel room. I almost cried and gave her a huge hug. She said they support missionaries and military but they'd do it for a stranger anyway. We exchanged numbers and emails and she told me to text her tomorrow to let her know if I got everything squared away with my car (I was going to call roadside assistance in the morning). When I got to my room, I almost burst into tears. A combination of stress, joy, and complete humility. I just felt like God was saying, "No, you need to rest. Here's a present." And if you know me, you know I LOVE staying at hotels. As much as I enjoyed being able to rest, I had a really hard time getting to sleep. Just...a lot on my mind. But wow...God is so good. It was just so amazing to be in such a frustrating situation, not lose my cool, and then have complete strangers act so kindly toward me. Needless to say, when I did fall asleep, I dreamed about broken cars...and hotels...and boats, for some reason.
The next morning I called roadside assistance after a quick chat with John and they met me at the airport and jumped my car. It jumped without any issues and I drove it straight home but not before a quick text thanking Terri AGAIN for their amazing kindness. She said "You're welcome in the name of Jesus. Thank you for your husband's service to our country. And to our God."
When I told my mom, she said "They were ANGELS!" If that's so, I have a pair of angels' phone number! Either way...God seriously blessed me at a point that could have been very low.
Photo: Unknown found via Glory to God for All Things

Comments

That is so awesome! Gives me a lump in my throat :)

Popular Posts