Change Day

How much changes in a day.
I was having a rough weekend and my parents agreed to take P so I could go to a movie with myself (I saw The Heat...it was very funny and perfectly mindless after the news I received). I got a phone call on my way to the theatre and knew right away something was off. John broke his leg in two places doing a ropes course. I felt like he had to confirm that this meant the deployment was over at least twice. I'm still wrapping my head around all the changes that have happened in this month alone. I'm still figuring out the details of all of this...and by details I mean things that I can't actually figure out until they present themselves. Like...where will John get his much-needed surgery? Will I have to transport him there or will he be directly sent there? Is his cast going to be full leg or from the knee down? Will he fit in my car with said cast? Will rehab keep him away from home for several weeks? And will follow-up visits mean traveling 4 hours? (The prospective surgery place is Norfolk, VA but there's talk of something happening in Germany.)
So...yeah. I don't exactly know how to feel. I'm mostly happy and overjoyed that this is over, that I'll get to see him soon and P will get her Daddy back soon. I know the recovery will be hard...and I am sad that it was these circumstances that brought him home. I teared up when he told me he broke his leg. I know he's disappointed in regards to that and so am I. I know we both have a rough road ahead. But a road together is much better than apart. I speak from much experience on the solo end.
In many ways I feel numb. Like all of this is overload. We normally have time to process their return. Having this all happen at once is a rush. And he's probably not even going to be home for a few weeks more but it's still hard to process. I find myself at a loss and putting coffee in the coffeemaker without a filter or forgetting to put on shoes when I leave the house. I'm wrung out from the past month. It's been a doozie. This news is a huge, huge, HUGE sigh of relief. I don't know why it happened but I feel like God is giving him back to me right when I needed him the most. And I know I will be taking care of him. But...I would take that over separation any day of the week.
So...send prayers our way. This is strange and new and changes everything. Pray for painless travels, for quick and thorough healing, for patience.

Comments

Popular Posts