911

Ten years ago Sunday the terrorist attack on the world trade center in New York happened. I was 15ish and living in China and read about it online late at night. A friend of mine messaged me that "oh my god, terrorists bombed the world trade center." My first reaction was confusion because I thought someone had bombed the trade center in my city and wondered why on earth someone would have any interest in bombing it. Then I read further and realized it was in New York. I still have newspaper clippings from the Chinese newspaper about it. It was truly one of the most unreal times of my life and I knew it was something I needed to remember, especially having the perspective of an outsider; I wasn't in America when it happened like so many were and I felt like my view point was definitely unique. It was humbling seeing and hearing how sympathetic the Chinese were of the events. Unlike Americans who call the event 9/11, they call it 911 since that number has no significance in China.
What made the event even more unreal was my brother Caleb was in the air on 9/11 flying from Hongkong to the U.S. His plane was redirected to Honolulu without informing the passengers. Near the end of the flight (obviously when the crew got the call), the map normally visible on the tv screens showing how far the plane had to go before it reached their destination was turned off. No one really noticed until they arrived. They weren't told what had happened until they had safely landed. In the meantime, we and our state-side relatives had no idea where Caleb was which was pretty scary. But we soon got a call from him. A lot of planes were redirected that day for fear of more terrorist hijackings. Caleb was in Honolulu for 2 or 3 days and then caught a plane back to the mainland.
Shortly after that whole event the SARS scare happened which I was also in China for which is a whole different story. I might blog about it someday.
A lot has changed in 10 years. And it's hard to believe it has been that long. There are things I agree with and things I don't about these wars. But this post is solely dedicated to those lost on that tragic day and those lost since then fighting to pay the price. You are still remembered.

Comments

Popular Posts