Warmth

It's been a hot beverage sort of past month or so. Partly probably from having a teething child who doesn't sleep as much as she should. So coffee, tea, and the such have been a necessity. It also feels like fall is beginning to emerge. With the Pumpkin Spice Latte rearing its orange head at Starbucks, I'd say fall is official.
One thing I am enjoying today for the first time in 5 years is a mate (pronounced 'mahtay') latte. The last time I had it was at some friends' bubble tea and crepe shop back in Washington and it was amazing stuff. You can't find it anywhere this far south/east that I know of. When I ordered some mate and it came in loose leaf form, I thought...a mate latte is in order soon! John decided to treat me with one today.
I look back and this has been one of the hardest years of my life. Very rewarding with some amazing experiences and moments...but difficult. Very, very difficult. I have found myself in countless situations wonder if I can flounder any more. It hasn't been comfortable and it hasn't been fun but I can see God working...and that gives me relief.
I watch my girl grow and just marvel at every new thing that develops in her. Her understanding, her ability to get around, her sense of humor...it all is amazing and I can't imagine my life without her. She definitely makes life more complicated, more difficult. But in such a rewarding way. Am I frustrated sometimes? Absolutely. But when was anything great easy to come by? I had to bring her into the world through LABOR. That's why it's called LABOR. The labor doesn't end there. But it's good labor and I can't say enough how much of a joy she is in my life. I miss her when she sleeps and when I'm away from her...
A few exciting things happening...I have work accepted in two exhibitions. One is in October close to DC for a military spouse convention and the other starts this Friday and is at a gallery in Morehead City. I'm excited to be able to get myself out there despite being crazy busy with classes (online...biggest mistake...) and life. I will unfortunately not be able to attend the opening reception of the gallery in Morehead due to my prior commitment: I am drawing at Art Walk, damnit, and nobody is going to stop me. I want 3+ hours of uninterrupted sitting and drawing in the out of doors. I want to listen to the bustle of tourists, sip a little wine (if they have it), draw my little heart out, get asked what the heck I'm drawing (since last time it was pretty confusing...), and listen to local musicians. I want to have no care in the world. And no, I have no idea what I'm going to work on. Which is the best part.
And now...math.
Photo: Meself

Comments

Popular Posts