Symmetry

I noticed the few images I used for my posts this month were all circular. And I have a great love for symmetry, circles, and things that balance and are concise. My art, however, is very, very far from this notion. I usually begin with lofty plans of technicality and geometry and end up more in the realm of Salvador Dali...but it somehow all works out. More and more, my work embodies the deepest cries of my heart. Sometimes the pieces begin innocently enough, with little more than an inspirational visual to spark the fire. But quickly it's a full blown bonfire...and I struggle to recover and move on to the next piece. I can understand now why some artists do the same painting or work over and over again, slightly changing the same subject matter. At the most recent exhibition opening reception I went to, someone said, "I'll keep painting it until it comes out the way I want it," about a piece she had done of three graces over and over again. Two of the 8+ works were hanging in the gallery. I never understood that before and I think the idea of doing the same thing over again is hard to rap my head around...until I liken it to a work I just am not satisfied with despite finishing it. I then understand the hunger to try again...or rework...until I'm satisfied.
I have two or three exhibitions I hope to enter...yet I have nothing ready for them. Must get cracking.

Comments

Popular Posts