Lunatic

There is something strange about full moons. I am not a particularly superstitious person. I own a black cat, have probably broken mirrors before and thought nothing of it and I step on cracks. However...full moons have something to them...and although I can't fully explain why there's something to them, I do believe it is scientific. Even if it's a science I don't understand.
My dear friend is a nurse and told me many times of the CHAOS that would ensue in the ICU during a full moon. Normally passive patients would suddenly rebel and become violent, crazy acts would occur, strange behavioral changes happened and all hell broke loose. When I was pregnant and near my due date (and feeling far beyond READY to get on with labor...I remember sobbing to John, "She HAS to come this weekend!! She HAS to! I can't go back to school on Monday!"), there was a super moon and although it didn't happen the night of the super moon, John predicted I would go into labor and I did a day later (thankfully before Monday...so no school). And this is common for labor and delivery wings at hospitals during full moons. Suddenly, EVERYONE is in labor. We actually had to wait in an overflow room for several hours (although it felt like 5 minutes) before we could actually get into a delivery room because there were SO MANY women in labor; thankfully, my labor was slow-going at that point.
As far as my knowledge went, this is where the lunar strangeness ended. I'd never experienced any other moon-related oddities...until today. I noted it was a particularly beautiful full moon last night. I saw it again this morning when waving goodbye to John as he headed to work (he was given the official okay to drive again) at 5:30am. I didn't think about the moon again until after I dropped P off at preschool. Some fellow moms were comparing notes and we were surprised to discover...ALL of our children had been MANIACS this morning. Out-of-the-ordinary crazy. P had meltdowns back to back to back. I found myself praying for continued patience and finally just hugging her when she'd finally LET me after throwing a few punches and kicks. Finally, a friend said, "Yep! Full Moon!" And it all clicked. Apparently, full moons tamper with our children, as strange as that sounds.
I still can't really explain it, don't really care to try to understand it further because I know how weird it already sounds (and one Astronomy class is as far as I care to go into lunar knowledge). But...something is definitely amiss when the moon is bright.
Photo: Unknown found via I.space

Comments

Popular Posts