Diva Dress

It's almost ball time again; that's right, the Marine Corps Birthday is right around the corner which means us ladies make a mad dash around trying to find a fab gown we've never worn. Because let's face it...we all buy that one dress and say we're going to wear it every year since we splurged on it...and then year two comes and we find something else. I know. I've done it. It's really, really dumb. But I've done it.
Some women have small arsenals of ball gowns. This year I donated a few gowns I didn't fit anymore to a yearly event that goes on here called Operation Ballgown. It's basically a giant dress exchange. You donate your gentry used dresses and can register to get one to keep...all free! I went for the first time this year and although I had a fun time at the actual fashion show where they model the dresses and have giveaways, when it came time to get a dress I had one of my off days. I have either on days or off days. On days are when I go into a store to buy one thing and EVERY.SINGLE.THING in the place fits me perfectly and looks amazing. And then off days are when I go in to find something I desperately need and not a thing in the store fits or looks nice. No, not even socks. This was a DEFINITE off day. I had my eye on two dresses in particular at the fashion show (one was a COMPLETE diva dress and as much as I am an introvert...I can definitely rock some badass hair, killer heels, and a diva dress). Sadly, both were not my size. And among the 20 other dresses I tried on that day (literally that many...or more...), nothing looked right. I started having other girls try to help me as they noticed how long I was there searching for a dress. They all seemed puzzled at my inability to...(for lack of a better phrase) "look good" in anything. It wasn't just me. EVERYTHING just looked ODD. I had one girl say, "It's not like you have an odd body type or anything...you look normal!!" As I said, it was an OFF day. The definition of the term. And those days are nightmares because it's hard to not walk away feeling very defeated. Even with losing all my baby weight, I somehow looked huge and just...off. So no gown. I ended up borrowing a dress from a friend. I had to fix a few rhinestones on the bodice but other than that I got a new-to-me dress for free and it looks nice. I thought about buying something new but with not being where I want to be physically yet, I'd like to treat myself when I get there instead of buying something that might be too small next year.
In other news...despite completely being unmotivated lately and sick as a dog for forever, I...*drumroll*...fit my goal jeans. Remember these? And this? Well...I've blown that goal out of the water and yes, I FIT THOSE JEANS. Granted, they are still tight. But. They fit. I've never been able to get them past my thighs before Saturday evening. I'm beside myself shocked. I thought it would take a lot more weight-loss to get there. But I'm there! Time to get some new goal jeans. ;)
Photo: Unknown found via LovelyEveningDress

Comments

Popular Posts