Cassettes

It's one of those times that I know I will encounter often as a mother. But that doesn't make it any easier.
I FINALLY sat down to paint. I've been preparing a painting for several weeks and just have not had the time or space to actually sit down and apply paint to canvas. Well...I finally did. I put baby down, got everything ready, put the brush to the canvas and POOF...an instantly crying, out of control baby. After a battle of a little under an hour, I decided to hang painting and put everything away. I got P, calmed her down and 5 minutes later...she passes out. I get her back in her room, shut the door and realize...I'm SO exhausted, the thought of getting my painting stuff back out is too much. I'm still in the battle phase...should I? Shouldn't I? Should I? And I know I've gotta make a decision SOON or else it'll be time for her to wake up. On top of it all, I have a horrible back ache, a horrible head ache and I'm just feeling defeated overall. You win today, tiredness. But just for the afternoon. Or maybe just for this minute. Maybe in a few I'll find the gumption I need to blast out of this funk and do something. In the meantime, I decided I'd get SOME creativity out by blogging. Yay me.
I'm honestly not sure how long ago I made the box above. I want to say 6th grade? Anyway, it has been in my possession for a long time and has housed a variety of treasures. Until recently, it was the keeper of my old cassette tapes. Yes. CASSETTE. As in old mix tapes of old. I've been trying to rid myself of unnecessary crap and unfortunately it was time. I feel a little sad. But mostly I feel fine. The box will live on in this blog post. I'm sure someone will scold me for tossing it. But if I honestly kept everything I ever made that ever held any memories, I would not be able to move again because my house would be so full and overloaded. I would rather keep the things that matter the most and this box is just ready to go.
The cassettes...well, before throwing any away, I found the same recordings on amazon to make sure I wasn't losing them. The cassettes themselves...I'm tempted to keep them for an art project. Maybe I still will. We shall see. But it felt good to clean, to cut down on some clutter (not just this but a lot of other things) and get my studio looking just one step closer to...well...a studio. (Note: the actual MIX tapes made for my by friends were NOT thrown away. Those cannot be replaced and will remain in my possession for years to come...even if I have no cassette player right now.)
It's raining hard today. We definitely need it.
My friend Jenny recently gave me a treasure trove of art supplies she no longer needs nor wishes to move with her next month. I'm still in denial that she's actually moving and right after we are becoming better friends. The collection of supplies was much more exciting than I even anticipated. Hello, Christmas Morning! There's just something wonderful but used art supplies, especially used by someone I highly respect as an artist and a person. I'm itching to use them (although much of it is oil and I have no way to paint with oil just yet) and that is one of the many reasons that spurred my evening cleaning session that resulted in my photo above and ode to cassettes. Hopefully sometime soon I will be able to bust them out and create something new. Maybe I should just suck up my exhaustion and try to paint some more.
Photo: Meself

Comments

Popular Posts