Wedding Musings

I went to a wedding of a dear friend earlier this month. And I sincerely meant to write down my thoughts as soon as I returned home. Even while still there, I wanted to jot down my heart musings. But time got away from me. And honestly, I think drinking in every minute with the people I was with was a better way to spend it. Now, I can sit and think on what I want to say.
It was a friend I hadn't seen in probably 10 years. We've known each other since elementary school and went to school together through high school. As with anyone I've gone to school with, no matter how short of a time, there is a special bond tying us together; even if it's completely invisible and we may have forgotten about it ourselves, it's there. Waiting to be rediscovered. The main reason for this is just the unique setting we grew up in. Only a hand full (literally) can relate so closely to what we experienced, the places we found ourselves, the cultural confusion we all carry with us.
I went to the wedding not knowing what to expect. This might sound strange. Obviously, I knew I was attending a wedding. But in many ways, this trip was like the high school reunion I'd probably never have (after all, it has been about 10 years since I graduated). The wedding took place in Minneapolis, MN, and I was only there 3 days including travel time. A WHIRLWIND of a trip! But worth every millisecond. Back to what I said...I wasn't sure what to expect as far as my interactions with people. Even the groom who was my friend from way back. It had been soooo long that I just had no idea what it would be like. The polite friendliness? The crazy happy bonding and catching up on old times? I was slightly afraid to expect more and be disappointed. Well...I was not disappointed.
I came away with renewed friendships. More than I could have hoped for. I came back with joy and a new found realization about myself and about this group of friends.
While chatting with my friend Alex (one of my besties from high school), we realized we had traveled a similar road as far as our attitude toward our "old China" friendships. We both felt like we were obligated to move on at some point. Like the friendships had already moved on themselves and we were just hanging onto something that was long gone. We both felt this especially when we got married. Like...when you get married you're expected to suddenly "grow up" and make "adult" friends. Both of which we've both learned to be a complete pile of bull. When I was reunited with all these friends (some of which I'd known since I was 5), I felt SO close to them and they to me. Like nothing had past. Like we were family all along and had just forgotten. Because we are family, of sorts. I don't think much could destroy the deep lying roots we all still have hiding inside of us. Whenever we find ourselves back together, we find those roots reaching for the sunlight, and new shoots forming.
Out of everything that took place, I realized how much I love these people, these friends. I love them all as much as I love my own blood relatives. And I realized I was a fool to think I could just grow up and "move on." I will never "get over" these guys. Nor do I ever want to.
I could fill volumes with all the moments of endless laughter and reminiscing we all had. Instead, I'll just smile and sit back and drink in every memory I took away and look ahead to when we'll all see each other again. Because I know in my heart we will. Soon.
P.S. It was wonderful to share my pregnancy with all these wonderful friends. However, Baby Girl (or The Squash as we have affectionately called her since day 1) definitely had me worried when I was on my way to travel. This baby is not a mover and a shaker. She is a gentle shifter. The few days before I flew to MN, I felt zero movement. So little that I wondered if I should go into the doctor. FINALLY, as my second flight was taking off and I was praying (and having others pray) for just the tiniest hint of movement, I felt two gentle prods as if to say, "Chill, Mom. I'm fine." She reminded me of her gentle presence throughout the few days away with small shifts and stretches, pokes, and rolls.

Comments

Popular Posts