For the Lack of Wisdom

I've been told wisdom tooth extraction horror stories for as long as I can remember. When my brother finally got it done last year, I knew my turn would be soon. I had scheduled it right before finding out I was pregnant with P and quickly cancelled when it was confirmed. When I went in for the consultation, my oral surgeon jokingly asked, "So did you end up having a baby?" Maybe that's a common excuse to get out of oral surgery. Or maybe it could be in the future!...hm...
The plan was to have my dad drive me in, get the surgery Thursday morning and then stay the night at my parents' so they could help with P. I was given a Valium to help keep me calm by the time I needed to get my IV. I don't remember much about driving to the appointment, paying for it, and walking back to the room. I remember the oral surgeon announcing that they'd cleared the room of mangoes (one of my odd allergies that came up during my consult visit), having a warm blanket draped over me and having my second ever IV administered by the oral surgeon himself. He did an awesome job and I remember NOTHING after that. The next thing I remember is having my name called twice and then being walked to my car with my dad helping me. I don't remember the ride home. I do remember vomiting as soon as I walked in the house (and announcing, "Ha! One good thing about having an empty stomach for anesthesia!" promptly afterward) and being ushered/shuffled to the bedroom where I probably got the most rest I have since P's birth. I am told I repeatedly said things several times but nothing too weird. Mostly just, "The IV was a piece of cake!" since that was my biggest worry. I woke up feeling strangely...good. The rest of the day consisted of eating ice cream, helping with P the best I could, eating icy things, eating pills, and watching a movie with my mom.
In short...I really expected it to be much worse. The pain has been minor. I have yet to bust into the heavy pain meds and have just stuck with ibuprofen. But in retrospect...after having a baby naturally, things like these lose their badass luster. I mean, really. No offense to people who had a horribly hard experience with their wisdom teeth. I have had heard those horror stories. But I guess mine wasn't one of them (yet...it is only day 2!).
Today the swelling began. Half my face looks like I have a hard boiled egg in my cheek. Strangely enough, it's not the side I assumed would be more swollen. I'm home now. And wishing for ice cream that no one is going to bring me. I've switched to the heat element of soothing my swelling face. I keep feeling the need to floss and then realize it's probably stitches...or something.
So all in all...I survived. Definitely not on my list of top 10 worst experience. Surprisingly.
The most unexpected part of the experience: being sent home with a bag of wisdom teeth. Really didn't expect that.
Photo: Unknown found via Aussie in my Blood

Comments

Popular Posts