Muralists

The past couple of weeks have left classes all a jumble by the presence of a few very special artists from the Dominican Republic.
I had the awesome opportunity to help paint (a little!) 3 of the 5 murals these artists spread across the local area. Here's a little bit about them.
It was amazing to me how much I learned by watching these guys work...even though I was only around them for such a short amount of time, I came away very inspired and ready to crank out my own painting and creating. I've never seen a group of people work SO well together and so in-tune. It still blows my mind thinking about it; artists here have such a hard time working together but these guys honestly worked as one unit. I heard someone describe them as 5 fingers on one hand and that's very, very true to how they are.
The murals were both inspiring and local-feeling without being corny. I loved being a part of seeing their thought process before starting painting even though most if not all was in Spanish...of which I probably know a grand total of 6 words...the most important of which is el bano...because you never know when you're going to need to go.
ANYWAY...back to the point. It was great. Their creativity was fascinating to watch unfold and it makes me want to pack up my family and travel around the world painting with local artists just to learn as much as I can (anyone wanna support me by covering all expenses? anyone at all? lol)...
I wish I could have spent a little bit longer painting and conversing (as much as you can in Spanglish) but I did what I could. Now...to get down and dirty with my own paintings. BaBAM. (...that was the sound of inspiration...and determination not to have a creative nervous breakdown...)

Comments

Popular Posts