Start

It's the beginning again. I've been here before but somehow it's different this time. This time I know I've done it before so I can do it again. I got the go ahead from my doctor to start exercising once more. We took our first walk/run around the neighborhood and it went really well; Penelope was a champ. And I felt great. Much better than I thought I would at this point in time. It's too easy for me to look at the scale and think I'm where I was before I lost all my weight. But deep down I know that's not true at all. This time I'm still in good shape starting off. I'm not beginning from rock bottom and I have a completely different mindset. And most importantly I know I can do this. Before it was a hope, a dream. This time it's going to be even better.
I grew up knowing very little about fitness and nutrition. A lot of my relatives are/were yo-yo dieters. I was skinny in high school and when I finally did start gaining weight I just made up excuses for it. But I never really did anything about it. I tried but never really committed to anything and automatically gave up when I didn't get instant results. Funny how it take so long to get it into our heads that good things take work. The friends I had who did lose weight had unhealthy ways of a achieving it. So you could say I was lost in the sauce. By the grace of God was able to work towards changing my mind set and changing my life. Only God can make a change like that in a person. And I'm ready to make that change again.
I wasn't even entirely sure what I wanted to say when I started this post. I just knew there was so much in my mind and heart that I wanted to get down. But I think it comes down to this:
A good friend unknowingly reminded me of the importance in keeping goals. And goals in ALL areas of life. I have a few that are deeply ingrained...graduate from school, continue doing art, read through the entire Bible...etc. But the most recent one of getting fit again...and staying healthy...that one isn't very specific. I KNOW how to graduate. I KNOW how to read through the Bible. I sorta know now how to get fit but I think what I need is to sit down and define what my deeper goals are within that category. And go from there. Then I have a focus.
So...this is where I'm starting. What about you?

Comments

Melissa said…
Love it. I am so proud of you! This post made me realize that I am doing the same thing. I have vague ideas of what I want to achieve in regards to fitness, but nothing specific. Making goals and truly accepting that it takes time and hard work is super important.
You are a rock star :)

Popular Posts