Kickass

It's been an interesting week and interesting weekend. It's SO good to feel healthy again...although my sniffles are holding on for dear life and refuse to leave me alone.
Yesterday, I took a trek to Jacksonville with two of my classmates in search of dresses for the college's production of Hairspray. We're in the chorus but still have to dress the part. I found a great dress that totally fits the time period. I also found another dress that just called my name. It's a very classic cut but has a really interesting print and it looked awesome on. The best part: it's a size 8...a size I don't know if I've fit into since high school. So needless to say...I feel awesome. :) The trip was fun overall as I've never really hung out with these two ladies before and they were great company. Other than almost getting jumped in the Ross parking lot (no really...), I'd say the trip was a total success.
I think the biggest event of the week though was Thursday. I tried my first fitness class ever. I've NEVER done a fitness class and have always been intimidated to try. But for awhile now I've felt like I've gone as far as I can on my own in my weight-loss/fitness journey. I am only going to push myself so far. I need someone else to kick my ass the rest of the way. So I set my eyes on a kickboxing class in the evening on Thursday, a perfect time since I have Fridays off. I missed it for several weeks due to being sick and was really annoyed but this week I was DETERMINED. I got all ready to go 2 hours before hand because I was so excited/nervous about going and then ended up taking a nap until it was time. I AM IN LOVE. The kickboxing class was a great pace and small enough that I didn't feel overwhelmed or anything. When it finished though I felt kinda like...now what? I had all this adrenaline pumping through my body and nothing to do with it. I thought about going to the main area of the gym and doing weights and stuff but at the same time that didn't sound fun. I noticed people were staying behind in the room the class was in and so I asked if something was happening next. They said yes, Zumba. Now, I've heard about Zumba and have wanted to try it for awhile because I love dancing. I decided to stay to just see how it went. I didn't get to stay for the full hour but I danced my ass off for half an hour and had SUCH a good time. The instructor is freaking incredible and has more energy than I've ever seen. I giggled my way through the entire class, I was having that good of a time. It was amazing being in an environment where I could seriously shake my stuff and not worry about creeper guys trying to buy me a drink. So thankful for my Latin hips...wherever they came from. My mom suggested that perhaps they're Cherokee hips? We'll never know. All I know is they like to move.
This morning I took my third class, a Pilates/Yoga/Balance/Core-Strengthening combo class. I didn't really know what to expect but it again kicked my ass. I think I've found my new addiction. :) It's such a great feeling being able to workout and have fun at the same time. I think this is what will make losing the rest of the weight possible, attainable, and enjoyable, not torturous. There were moments in all of the classes when I thought "I can't do anymore" but it continued to push myself and it just felt SO great. So...look out Cancun...this lady is going to have a body to show. Oh yeah, did I mention we're going to Cancun when John gets back? SO. FREAKING. EXCITED. It'll be our first plane ride together (so weird that that hasn't happened until now) and our first trip outside the country other than Canada. I've been dying to go somewhere tropical for...oh...FIVE YEARS...because I miss Thailand and Asia in general so much. So...this is going to be awesome. I need a beach!! Who cares if we get beheaded in the process...hehehe...ehem. Joke.
Photo: Unknown found via Bikyamasr

Comments

Kaley said…
Ooooh, feel my Zumba envy. These hips of mine? Yeah, they have not one iota of Cherokee or Latin or anything but...Asian?

Good for you for getting involved in all of the classes! I took a step aerobic class once and nearly sprained my ankle falling off the darn stepper thing. Apparently climbing walls is fine with me, but anything involving coordination and I might as well be the water girl...
Haha...see, I think I'd sprain my ankle doing a step aerobic class too. I am not terribly coordinated either and I have HORRIBLE balance which definitely came out in the pilates class and the kickboxing. But that's one of the reasons I'm taking them. And as far as dancing, I don't know if I'm that good of a dancer...I just have a LOT of energy because I love dancing so much. And I think my enthusiasm somehow magically flows out of my hips and convinces people I have skills that I lack. Hehe...it's magic, all magic!!

Popular Posts