I am not a painter...

I am beginning to wonder if the "hell weeks" are ever going to end. I'm trying to think positive though and concentrate on the good things.
"You may have found a new medium." That's what my art teacher told me when I completed this face in Nupastels, a material I've only used once before. We are starting to learn to use color in Figure Drawing and I am IN LOVE with these materials. I was drooling over them in the store because I plan on buying a larger set when I have another 40% off coupon for Michael's...and then it dawned on me...and it's so ridiculously SIMPLE, I can't believe I didn't realize it sooner: I am not a painter. Some people may disagree but what I mean by that is...paint does not come to me very naturally. I struggle with it. But pencil, charcoal, and colored pencils have always come pretty easily. The down side to colored pencils was always the fact that it took FREAKING FOREVER to cover a large area with color. HELLO NUPASTELS. They're like colored pencils...except...so much easier to blend with and cover area. I've only used them twice but I can see this growing into a very deep and meaningful relationship. These come to me a lot more naturally than paint...and I can see myself doing some awesome things a lot easier than if I tried to paint the same idea. So...this is what mostly made my week this week. That and the moment my teacher offered to buy one of my drawings that I did of her and her son. Gulp.

Comments

Kaley said…
love love love love LOVE it! You've got some talent there, and it's AWESOME! :)

Popular Posts