C-C-C-Covid-19

Has it really been almost 3 months? Time flies, I guess. Although I wouldn't categorize the past few months as all that fun. But we are surviving. 
It is the 2020 Coronavirus Pandemic and we are in quarantine. Doesn't that sound like the intro to a cliche science fiction novel? And yet, here we are: reality.
It has been mostly...fine. A little odd. It is interesting at times to observe in oneself and others the things that are the most difficult versus what comes effortlessly with this change in, well, everything. LIFE AS WE KNOW IT. I guess. I try not to listen to all the numbers and statistics and plans of action and bladeedah. It seems to change weekly and everyone just gets mad at each other and I just don't need that stress. Furthermore, me paying attention contributes nothing. So, I return to my regularly scheduled cat videos.
My biggest struggle has been focus and will-power. There is an unspoken mental struggle to just DO. I think pregnancy (did I mention I'm pregnant?) compounds it with preggo-brain but it is even more exaggerated during this uncertain time. I often am forgetting to do what needs to be done and am just kind of paralyzed or occupy myself with projects that aren't entirely pressing or vital. Even the creative things I'd normally want to do are impossible to focus on. This is also just how my brain works. Laundry? Who needs to do laundry when we could spend HOURS researching how to build a ceiling-mounted gallery wire hanging system (true story but not actually carried out)? Take that and multiply it by 10 and add in a lot more anxiousness and less alone time and that's me in quarantine. I think I've handled it fairly well, all things considered. But it is a strange time to be alive. And the memes and online humor about Covid-19 are getting out of control.
Our biggest quarantine activity has been getting a fish tank. I feel totally crazy for diving in (no pun intended) but it has been something fun to focus on and the kids have been so entertained, it's like we gave them each their own TV. 
So, I'm pregnant! I'm 16ish weeks and SO antsy to find out what this baby is. Eggs still don't sound too good (the opposite of Moses' pregnancy) but other forms of protein are a GO. My body has definitely NOT forgotten how to be pregnant which is both annoying at times and hilarious. I've had one ultrasound where I got to hear the baby's heart and see lots of wiggles and we'll have another in 2 weeks.
And that's life right now. My brother recently wrote some old memories about China. It's interesting to compare notes. Our age difference, though not huge, creates different focuses and obviously different perspectives. It's interesting to see how our memories of the same things are different or my memory will be brief but that same event had more significance to him so it is much more detailed. Anyway, him writing spurred me on to return here and to also think about memories I wanted to share. But that's for another time. For now, it's late.

Comments

Popular Posts